Sunday 7 January 2018

Zero Hour 39


Angelica gazed out over San Francisco Bay, again. This time, it was night, and a thin rain was falling, glimmering in the coloured lights of the city.

There was a footstep behind her, and she turned.

"Ms. Moreno." The speaker was a Vulcan, in civilian clothing, with quite the blankest face Angelica had ever seen. "I am Admiral Zorik. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me."

"I don't have any choice," Angelica said. "You can do whatever you like with me -"

"That is not, in fact, the case. Your involvement with Action Black and with Kalevar Thrang has, of course, linked you to several serious criminal endeavours. Your cooperation with Federation agents in exposing and apprehending Thrang and his co-conspirators has also been noted. The appropriate authorities have considered your case and decided that no charges can or should be brought against you. You are, in fact, to be commended for your actions overall."

"But what does that mean?" Angelica asked. "Where does it leave me? What am I supposed to do, now?"

"If I may make an immediate practical suggestion," said Zorik, "I think you should follow me, to a sheltered place, out of the rain."

"Sometimes," Angelica muttered, "out in the rain is the right place to be."

"A human emotional reaction. I understand it, but I do not share it. Please follow me." And he turned and walked away, at a slow, steady pace. Angelica swore under her breath, then hurried to catch up with him.

"Your overall position is somewhat equivocal," Zorik said, as she reached his side. "Your interrupted career as a Starfleet cadet could be resumed, though there might be some social friction with your classmates, insomuch as your activities have become a matter of public record since your testimony was recorded."

"I had to tell everyone about -"

"Of course. It is your duty as a Federation citizen, and it is gratifying that you understand that duty." Zorik shot a sideways glance at her. "I gather that you left the Academy due to ideological differences over the Prime Directive. It is not uncommon for people to feel the Prime Directive is obsolete, or ineffective, or counter-productive. Thrang used the pretext of reform to lure people into his organization, but the opinion in itself is not unreasonable. If strongly held, it would pose something of a problem with regard to a career in Starfleet, though."

"I'm not sure what I believe any more," said Angelica.

"Understandable. You have passed through a trying experience." They were coming up to a small cafe, an island of light under the dark rainy sky. Zorik led her through the doorway, out of the rain, into the warmth and the light.

"Your actions have been noted," Zorik said. "You may find that several career paths have opened to you. You kept your head in a dangerous situation, and provided valuable intelligence to the Federation at considerable personal risk. This is commendable."

"Commendable to who?" Angelica asked.

"To the Federation, and to the agencies which protect the Federation. Starfleet is only one such. There are several others, and you may find them more... congenial to your temperament." Zorik led her to a table, indicated to her to take a seat. She sat. He remained standing.

"I am a senior official within Starfleet Intelligence," he said. "If you do not choose to resume your career in Starfleet, then I am not an appropriate person to influence your choices. However, as I have said, there are other agencies. I am here to effect an introduction to one such."

And a heavy-set man in black clothes glided into the seat across the table from Angelica. He had close-cropped sandy hair, and disquieting light brown eyes - almost yellow - but the first thing she noticed was the scar that wound across one side of his face.

"Hello, Angelica," he said. "My name's Franklin Drake. I have a proposition for you, and I hope you'll consider it carefully."

No comments:

Post a Comment