Sunday 7 January 2018

Zero Hour 15

"Tribune Sarellius. Welcome."

The tall, imposing Romulan bowed gravely to the smaller, unassuming, grey-haired figure behind the desk. "Proconsul."

D'Tan gestured. "Please, take a seat. There is no need for formalities, is there?"

"I would hope not." Sarellius sat down opposite D'Tan, relaxing in the chair, crossing his legs casually. "Though I should perhaps remind you of one formality -"

"Your person is inviolate," said D'Tan in cool tones. "Quite. As it happens, your person is inviolate, since you are a law-abiding citizen of the Republic, and I have neither the authority nor the desire to harm you." He favoured Sarellius with a thin-lipped smile. "An agent of the Tal Shiar once stood in this office, very near to where you are sitting now. She gave me her message, and departed unharmed. I told her," he added, "to call again during office hours."

"And did she?" asked Sarellius.

"No. But that was her choice."

Sarellius nodded, thoughtfully. "I suppose it is necessary to readjust our thinking. We are not, as a people, accustomed to having a leader who is responsible, moderate, and approachable. So, we seek protections, still, perhaps through titles -"

"If you think the title of Tribune would have protected you in a clash with Sela, say, or Donatra," said D'Tan, "I am sure they would have been glad to disillusion you. However, you are speaking to me, now, and you may speak your mind freely. Will you speak your mind, Tribune Sarellius?"

"Gladly. And I hope that you and I are of one mind on this. Reunification."

"That has been my goal for all my adult life," said D'Tan softly.

"We of the Actionists believe it is now attainable. Proconsul, the barriers between us and the Vulcans - between us and the other interstellar civilizations - are wasteful. None knows this better than you. You have seen how our enemies play on our divisions. To break down those barriers, to unify the galactic powers - this is the goal of the Actionist movement. And our people, especially, need to see those barriers fall."

"You have no opposition from me," said D'Tan, "in principle."

Sarellius narrowed his eyes. "Only in principle?"

D'Tan sighed. "One of the things I know better than most," he said, "is how much work is involved in keeping a government running. It is dull, for the most part, but necessary. To declare that the Republic is one with the Federation would be the work of an instant, true... but harmonizing the currency, making the regulation of trade and industry consistent between the two powers, reconciling the legal systems, agreeing mutual defense arrangements... these things take time, and much effort. And we would still have the social and historical conditioning to contend with. We have fought wars against our Vulcan brethren... can we be sure, in the face of that, of a fraternal welcome?" He shook his head. "I believe in Reunification, true enough. But I have no illusions about how far apart our culture and the Vulcans have grown. To bridge that gap - that is not the work of an instant."

"We are Romulans," said Sarellius. "We are not defeated. We will accomplish whatever we set out to accomplish."

"I do not deny it," said D'Tan. "I point out, only, that the way is long and hard."

"The more reason to set out on it now," said Sarellius. "Even now, we are working at cross purposes with those who should be our allies and partners. We face threats from an unknown quarter, and Reman intelligence is blundering in the dark, chasing ghosts. A unified Alpha Quadrant intelligence agency -"

"Would be a fearsome thing," D'Tan interrupted. "Who would run it? K'men? Ethan Burgess? Chakotay? None of our proposed partners would trust a Romulan or a Reman in such a role, you may be sure of that. Or, there are worse alternatives still. Have you heard of Franklin Drake?"

"They might yet be effective," said Sarellius. "That is of paramount importance, when it comes to intelligence."

"Effectiveness is not the only important quality," said D'Tan. "In their way, the Tal Shiar and the Obsidian Order were effective. Intelligence agencies need to be... morally constrained. Even if it reduces their efficiency. And reaching agreement on that - well, it would be complex. And that is only one area of complexity."

"But you say you agree with us, in principle."

"In principle, yes. I ask only that you do not ignore realities for the sake of your principles."

Sarellius rose. His expression was hostile. "The realities, at present, are that the major powers of this galaxy are fragmented and quarrelsome. That the Republic is only one smaller power, not even fully representative of the Romulan people... and that you may prefer it that way. Because the Republic is under your control."

D'Tan said nothing.

"You may be content to be absolute master of a small domain. We may feel that our people deserve better."

D'Tan remained silent.

"I remind you of the inviolacy of my person."

"You have no need for concern." D'Tan was not looking at Sarellius; he seemed to be staring at nothing at all. "You feel you have spoken truth to power. It is your right, Tribune Sarellius. We must all do as we think best, for our people." His gaze sharpened and focused on the other man. "I take it, then, that this interview is concluded?"

"For the present." Sarellius drew in a deep breath. "We will speak again, Proconsul. Depend on it."

---

The Gorn was massive, naked to the waist, gigantic muscles clearly moving under his grey-green hide. He gazed down at J'mpok from his full, towering height. "Chancellor," he hissed. "I am Prince Xrallos."

J'mpok grunted. "If you were not, I would have words with my appointments secretary," he said. "So. How may I assist the court of King Slathis?"

"I do not come from the court, nor do I speak for his Majesty," said Xrallos.

"No," said J'mpok, "no, you come from the court of Dahar Master T'Lor. This I know. Was the Dahar Master otherwise engaged? Too busy to come himself?"

"We felt that it was more appropriate that I should attend you," said Xrallos. "To demonstrate the advantages of cooperation. You know the Gorn Hegemony has been a loyal ally to the Empire."

"Neither you nor T'Lor need tell me what I already know."

"Cooperation, Chancellor. Without the Empire's - assistance - we would never have appreciated the threat from the Undine. They were already positioned at the very highest level of our government, and it took a war for you to demonstrate that to us." Xrallos's massive head tilted slightly to one side. "The Dahar Master and I merely feel that cooperation can be achieved - should be achieved - with rather less bloodshed."

J'mpok grunted. "I am aware of the Actionist Movement," he said.

"Some consider us traitors. We are not."

"If I thought you were a traitor," said J'mpok, "you and I would be negotiating with blades, not words. No. You Actionists are not traitors - as far as I know. What are you, then?"

"Citizens and allies of the Empire, with - certain concerns."

"And certain suggestions." J'mpok shifted uneasily.

"Our enemies - our mutual enemies - attempted to divide and rule the powers of this part of the galaxy," said Xrallos. "Our objective, then, is not to be divided, and to rule ourselves."

"Your objective," J'mpok almost spat, "sounds very well, but in practice it amounts to one thing. The unification of the major galactic powers under one banner. Whose banner?"

"Is it important? What matters is the effectiveness of the organization."

"Such an organization would be effective only if it left a maximum of internal government in place among its constituent parts," said J'mpok. "Any other arrangement would be too unwieldy to function. So. It would be an alliance which guaranteed the individual liberties of its components, which pledged non-interference in the affairs of its subordinate governments. Tell me, which galactic power might best manage that? Which galactic power already operates on that basis?"

"The Federation -"

"Precisely." J'mpok cut the Gorn short. "Your objective sounds well, but the practical outcome is obvious. The incorporation of the Empire - and, I presume, the Romulan Republic - into the Federation. King Slathis and I would take our places - oh, with all due courtesy, no doubt - on the Federation Council." His lips pulled back from his teeth in an ugly snarl. "I have come to respect Aennik Okeg, to a degree - first as an adversary, then as an ally. But I do not yet respect him enough to call him my President."

"Alternative constitutional arrangements could be made. The honour of the Empire need not be compromised. The actual formalities -"

"Formalities/" J'mpok was shouting. "The honour of the Empire is not a formality! You seek to take away our independence, and cloak it in a form of words! I have been a politician long enough to recognize forms of words when I see them!"

"Yes," said Xrallos, "you have been a politician... long enough."

J'mpok stared at him, the snarl still on his lips. "That almost sounded like a threat," he said softly.

"It is a fact. You have done much service to the Empire, and to the galaxy as a whole," said Xrallos. "But times change, Chancellor, and the glorious past must sometimes give way to the practical future. History is not on your side."

"I have stood against stronger tides than your history," spat J'mpok. He rose to his feet. "Are you here to give history a helping hand? I am ready."

"I am here to talk," said Xrallos, "nothing more. And I see there is little point in my saying anything else." He turned. As he lowered his massive head to go through the doorway, he glanced back and said, "History is on our side, Chancellor, so we need do nothing more than wait."

And he left. J'mpok stared at the closed door for a long while, his hands balled into fists at his sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment