Tuesday 26 January 2016

Heresy 27

The slight figure in the brown robes seemed somehow out of place in the anteroom. The room itself was decorated in muted blues and greys, the most colourful thing in it being the giant Federation symbol painted on one wall. Along opposite walls, two groups of bodyguards eyed each other with professional displeasure.  

The brown-robed man rose as the door hissed open, and bowed with great formality to the dapper figure who entered.

"Mr. President."

"Proconsul D'Tan." President Okeg's lambent golden eyes surveyed the Romulan. "It is good to see you. Your visit is unexpected, but still welcome."

"I thought it best," the Romulan leader said, "to seek a personal meeting. It is best to obviate as many possibilities as we can for miscommunication and misunderstanding."

"Of course." The Federation President eyed his visitor closely. "Shall we step into my private office?" Both Romulan and Federation security guards visibly bristled, but said nothing.

D'Tan bowed again. "I am honoured, Mr. President."

The private office was a medium-sized room, decorated in muted tones, the big desk half-covered in PADDs and printouts. Aennik Okeg waited for his guest to settle himself in a chair, before he asked, "So, Proconsul. How may I assist you?"

D'Tan hesitated for a moment before he said, "The Romulan Republic does not desire conflict with the Federation."

"The Federation does not desire conflict with the Romulan Republic." Okeg's near-lipless mouth still managed to smile. "So far, then, we are in harmony."

"I am concerned, though, that it may not last. The Hegemony of Bresar -"

"Ah." Okeg nodded, resignedly. "I thought it would be that."

"Valikra's strategy seems to include involving Vulcans in her conflicts with our people. There have been certain incidents - as I am sure you are aware."

"The most recent being in the Durella system. I have heard reports - representations have been made to censure a Starfleet officer, one Vice Admiral Grau."

D'Tan sniffed. "Please inform me if she is to be censured, because in that event, the Republic might be obliged to give her a medal. Mr. President, so far, most of your Starfleet officers - like this Grau - have acted admirably -"

"Most?"

"There have been many raids by the Hegemony against Republic targets. In some cases, Federation forces have been unable to assist - and there have been one or two instances where Starfleet has shown reluctance to engage forces that included Federation citizens in their ranks. It is understandable, Mr. President, but that does not make it right."

"I see," said Okeg, slowly.

"We cannot protest directly to the Hegemony - that organization is intransigent, it refuses to recognize the Republic -"

"You do not, I note, deny them recognition," Okeg observed.

D'Tan made an impatient gesture. "The Hegemony exists. We may dispute its legitimacy, but to deny the fact of its being is... futile." He took a deep breath. "Its stated goal is the reunification of the Vulcan and Romulan peoples. Mr. President, that is my ultimate ambition, too, it has been for all of my adult life. And please do not misunderstand... if that goal could be achieved at the cost of my own, personal, political career - I would make that sacrifice gladly. But Valikra's methods...."

"The Hegemony - the Romulan side of it - is principally engaged in war with the Tal Shiar and its allied Imperial remnants. My information is that Hegemony attacks in Republic space have been mainly directed at Reman targets."

"Yes. It seems a conscious attempt to isolate the Remans - to drive a wedge between them and us." D'Tan shook his head. "The Remans have been an oppressed people for centuries. As a matter of - of morality - we owe them justice. And, as a matter of practical politics - the Reman liberation underground is a powerful force in itself, and we of the Republic must ensure that it remains peaceful."

"Yes," Okeg said with another slight smile. "One of my human aides has a coarse but vivid metaphor involving an Earth draft animal called a camel. I can well understand that you want Obisek inside the tent."

D'Tan thought for a moment, then laughed briefly. "As you say - coarse, but vivid." His voice became serious again. "If Reman interests continue to be attacked, I cannot guarantee that they will not fight back. If Valikra continues to involve Vulcans in Hegemony military activity... then I cannot guarantee that we will not come to that thing neither of us desires: conflict between Republic and Federation forces."

"The obvious thing, then, is to ensure that Vulcans do not become involved," said Okeg. "Obvious, but not necessarily easy to achieve."

"I can make no representations to the Hegemony while it refuses to acknowledge the Republic's existence. But Vulcan can hardly refuse to acknowledge the Federation."

"True... but my hands are tied by the Federation charter. We cannot interfere in the internal political affairs of Vulcan. We cannot prevent individual Vulcans from joining what is, in effect, a new Vulcan political party. Nor can the Vulcan authorities do that, within the terms of their own constitutional system. We can give assurances that any Vulcans operating within the Hegemony military do so without the support of the Federation. I can, and will, clarify this to Starfleet, should the need arise."

"I think that need has already arisen. I would ask, Mr. President, if it is possible to do more. By persuasion and diplomacy, not by force of law."

"I fear," said Okeg, "that we might need a very capacious tent to fit both Obisek and Valikra inside it. But we will do what we can.... The Vulcan side of the Hegemony, led by Stiak, should be more amenable to reason." His golden eyes narrowed. "Though I am concerned, myself, with the Vulcan side of things."

"How so?"

"I have had reports from Starfleet Intelligence and a number of other sources. The Hegemony of Bresar is extending its influence on Vulcan and its colony worlds. There is nothing, we think, subversive or seditious - everything is open and above board. But they are increasingly persuading key officials, some highly placed in the Vulcan government, to become members of their group."

D'Tan frowned. "That is... somewhat disquieting."

"It depends, I suppose, on how one perceives their motivation. As I understand it, this membership of the Hegemony is supposed to be purely symbolic, at least until such a time as the Hegemony comes within sight of its overall goal. Neither I nor the Vulcan Council can forbid people to join a social group or a political party. Not without direct evidence, at least, of treason or sedition - and there is none such."

"But, in the situation you describe," said D'Tan, "there may be many who have... divided loyalties."

"That is my concern. Especially as the Hegemony apparently regards itself as a single political unit - with no internal boundaries between its Vulcan and Romulan halves."

"Perhaps we can suggest to this Stiak that Vulcans should not cross to the Romulan side and expect the same legal protections they have as Vulcans."

"Stiak might be persuaded... I am less sure of Valikra. I am also concerned over movements in the other direction - effectively, several Vulcan colonies have opened their borders to the Romulans, and there is a considerable influx."

D'Tan frowned. "I cannot regard that as an unmitigated disaster, Mr. President. The parlous state of many of my people's refugees is well known - the Republic does what it can, of course, but it is never enough."

"It may be laudable on humanitarian grounds," said Okeg, "but it carries with it security implications - some high-ranking Tal Shiar officers have defected to Valikra, and the Tal Shiar will not forgive such disloyalty. We must be on our guard, therefore, against assassins, spies and other infiltrators - and the lowering of the borders makes this difficult."

"I understand." D'Tan sighed. "I have yearned for reunification... but I did not imagine it might come about like this."

"It still remains, I regret to say, a remote prospect," said Okeg. "The more remote, if a wedge is driven between your people and the Hegemony.... Well. I will do what I can, through diplomatic channels. Perhaps Valikra will prove persuadable. Efforts are being made in that direction."

No comments:

Post a Comment