Tuesday 26 January 2016

Heresy 13

T'Laihhae

I pass unnoticed in New Romulus Command, too. It is a pleasant enough place, more like the head office of some commercial concern than the centre of a military power, and it is always busy, and far more impressive-looking officers than me are striding urgently about at all times. In among these people - who are, no doubt, every bit as busy and important as they look - it is easy for me to be overlooked.

I find the intelligence officer in the room next door to Admiral Kererek. The window looks out on the vistas of Mol'Rihan; the day is a fine one, and the hills seem to roll like great waves beneath the pale mauve sky. Mol'Rihan, our adopted home, is a lovely world, in its way. And a world full of threats and secrets - but what world is without those?

"High Admiral Valikra i-Taronat tr'Damasau," the intelligence officer says thoughtfully. His name is Sharukh, he is Reman, and he wears a cowl and goggles against the light. His function is to collate information from sources in the Star Empire's remnants, and he has a name for efficiency, among those of us who know how to learn such things.

"What do we know of her?" I ask.

"Little enough," Sharukh replies. "She was with the Unificationists, at one point... she left their ranks over some doctrinal issue. Now, her power base seems concentrated on the military outpost at Porruma VI, with the fleet vessels based in that system." He leans forward, taps at something on his desk console. "I have had reports on some of her ships... they are widely dispersed, many of them operating in Federation territory, even in the Sirius sector itself. She is rated as a low threat probability simply because her forces are so widely scattered. And she is not Tal Shiar, though we believe she has a working relationship with some Tal Shiar officers."

"If she did not," I muse, "she would be vulnerable to attack from her own side."

"The impression I form," says Sharukh, "is that the High Admiral is her own side. Her alliances, if any, are short term and for immediate purposes only. Her political views appear to be uncompromising... this seems to have been the reason for her departure from the Unificationists. She would call for direct action, in ways they could not or would not agree to. Of course, this was many years ago, and people change...."

I frown. "What is the reason behind the dispersal of her fleet?"

"Ah," says Sharukh, "now that is novel. Her ships have been reported, time and again, in the context of rescue, relief and other humanitarian operations. This is, apparently, their main reason for being in Federation space. A matter of... public relations."

"Making herself popular, by helping the Federation?"

"One specific part of the Federation. Vulcans. Her ships have orders, it seems, to help Vulcans in distress."

"But if she is no longer a Unificationist -"

"Unificationism is... or was... a radical political movement," says Sharukh. "In such movements, the goals may be held in common by all, but there may be considerable dissension as to methods. Valikra was an ardent supporter of Reunification, and impatient with the evolutionary methods espoused by D'Tan and Ambassador Spock. She favoured a faster and more aggressive approach."

"We are hardly in a position to be aggressive towards Vulcan," I point out.

"We are not. D'Tan's methods, frankly, seem the best way, to me. Though there is potential for friction, even so... this matter of Jouret, now, that alarms me."

"So," I say, "what do you suppose the High Admiral's strategy to be? To make herself indispensable to the Vulcans, and thus make her way into their councils? Or is it all a deception, using this - aid effort - as a cloak for espionage?"

"I think the only person who could answer that question is High Admiral Valikra herself. The impression my agents have is that she is sincere. Very sincere. Perhaps too sincere."

"A fanatic."

"Conceivably. But a well-organized one, with strength of will and no small ability. Porruma VI and its neighbouring worlds are... well run. They have not suffered excessive deprivation, their local problems have been met and resolved. I suspect the Tal Shiar sees her as a useful pawn... a proxy ruler whose private kingdom fits neatly into their overall plan. Porruma VI is well run, it will no doubt be equally well run as a Tal Shiar, Elachi or Iconian fiefdom. Where Valikra would be, in that eventuality, is another matter."

"She does not have the resources to stand alone against the Iconians?"

"We do not know if anybody has those resources. I doubt Valikra does, though."

"I see... or, rather, I do not. Valikra is significant, this I know. But I do not know, yet, why or how."

"I would be... interested," says Sharukh, "to know your sources for this information."

"They must remain private. If I am indiscreet in any way, those sources will... dry up."

"You can disclose nothing?"

"If I told you - here in the heart of New Romulus Command, in a place free of spies and sensors and recording devices - what my sources are; if I were even to whisper a name in your ear or let you read it silently from my mind... those sources would know, and would be silent forever after. Sometimes, I am frightened by what they know." I sigh. "And sometimes, I am irritated by how little they choose to tell me. Thank you for your help, Sharukh."

"I will note that this Valikra may need closer attention. Thank you, T'Laihhae." He smiles, a terrifying sight. "Let us hope that this matter becomes clearer, in time."

No comments:

Post a Comment