Tuesday 13 December 2016

The Death House 34

Shalo

I am sitting down on a balcony, watching two men hack each other to pieces, while drinking raktajino with the woman I want to kill. I suppose, in First City terms, this makes it a normal day.

One of the warriors falls to the floor of the challenge ring. Melani D'ian makes a tutting noise, and pushes a small pile of coins across the table to me with one impeccably manicured finger. "That is the second time I have lost money on a warrior of the House of Klagroth," she says. "I must have words with their trainer, sometime.... However. One more piece of good fortune on which to congratulate you, General."

"Those are always welcome," I say, and sip my raktajino. "Few as they are."

"You are back in favour with the High Council, you have thwarted a plot against the Empire...."

"We did not capture Kalevar Thrang."

D'ian smiles. "That is your good fortune too, I think. If you had risen too high in J'mpok's esteem, I would have had to take... certain measures. As things stand, you and I can continue to be useful to each other." She must catch my sour look, since she adds, "There is no need for us to like each other, General."

"That is fortunate," I say. Then I sigh. "So. How do matters stand, overall?"

"Oh," says D'ian, "the... tidying-up... is proceeding. It could have gone better, of course. The problem is, simply revealing that there were blackmail files on some High Councillors... made Imperial Intelligence very insistent about knowing what they were. So we had to hand over that data." Though if she thinks I believe she handed over all that data.... Well. Half of it probably came from dealings with the Syndicate already. "And then J'mpok became tiresomely traditional about executing the dishonoured Councillors...."

"I take it you dissuaded him?"

"K'men and I appealed to his practicality. In the interests of... continuity of government. So soon after the Iconian incident, it would never do to have another massacre of the High Council. So, certain Councillors live to fight another day."

And thus the Chancellor tightens his grip on the Council... but the blackmailed Councillors will know it, will resent it. J'mpok and K'men will have to tread carefully, even while they command obedience.... Well. It is the game of Klingon politics, and both of them have been playing it long enough to be masters.

"What of the other... details?" I ask. "The Letheans, and the Kobali?"

"Yes," says D'ian thoughtfully, "the Kobali. The Kobali government has disclaimed all responsibility for this General Jhey'quar; they claim he was a rogue officer, leader of a discredited radical movement which does not truly represent Kobali interests or intentions. We have, of course, no proof that they are lying...."

"Were their lips moving?" I ask. "That is generally a reliable sign."

D'ian laughs. "No actual proof. And we really cannot afford to meddle any further in Delta Quadrant politics, not just now. But this disclaimer means they have refused any sort of compensation to the Letheans for their lost colony... they will take the late colonists and integrate them into Kobali society, that is all. Relations between the Letheans and the Kobali, then, have... cooled, rather. To the point that it is a very good thing that they live at opposite ends of the galaxy."

"One more item on Thrang's account, then," I say. "Along with the situation on 54 Eridani V... do we have any idea how that will progress, now?"

"Well," says D'ian, "the civil war started by Thrang's proclamation appears to be in full swing. Once the shooting has died down, the Federation and the Empire will send in a joint peace-keeping and reconstruction force. We still hold their Grand Admiral, and by their standards he is a reasonable man... he will probably be adequate as an interim head of state. In the meantime, however, the Empire cannot intervene without provoking further hostility, and the Federation, of course, quotes its wretched Prime Directive and sits on its hands. Once the survivors start appealing for humanitarian aid, then we can move."

Until then - chaos and war. "Thrang's plans cost a lot of lives," I observe. "More, even, than yours."

"Mine? My dear General, I assure you, I am positively parsimonious with the lives I spend. One cannot buy an empire at too high a cost... or it will not be worth having. Do you not agree?"

"Some people's idea of a small cost," I say, "may be ruinous, to others."

"True," says D'ian. "And a point well worth considering, if you plan to rise in the Syndicate."

"I have no plans in that direction," I assure her firmly.

"Oh, you must put aside this prejudice!" She shakes her head. "The Syndicate needs competent operatives, and you are competent."

"I also desire your death."

"Well, that is true of most of my subordinates. For that matter, do you not recall how I reached my current position? I assure you -" her brilliant eyes are icy and stern "- I never forget."

I believe her. This woman knows what she has bought, and what she has paid for it - in blood, death and destruction. Melani D'ian's grip on the Orion people remains, I think, unbreakable.

For the moment, at least.

"I will concede this much," I say. "I would rather work with you, than with Kalevar Thrang."

"Oh," says D'ian with a sniff, "I am sure he thinks he would be ideal as head of the Syndicate.... That man has ambitions."

"Obviously," I say.

"And resources. He spirited himself away from 54 Eridani, and nobody seems to know where he might have gone. He is irritating." D'ian's face turns pensive for a moment. "I think we shall all sleep a little easier, once we have dealt with Kalevar Thrang."

No comments:

Post a Comment