Thursday 4 February 2016

Vectors: Introduction

By the time The Three-Handed Game had ground to a conclusion, the "Delta Rising" expansion for STO had come out; a whole host of new worlds had opened up, a number of latex-forehead-of-the-week aliens from Voyager had become significant features in the game... basically, there were a lot more options on the table.

One of those options, for mugs like me who bought lifetime subs, was to play a Talaxian character... and so, I rolled my very own Neelix.  I had some ideas from the start as to what Pexlini's backstory might be, and what her personality might be like.

Her persona, as a somewhat disreputable interstellar Del Boy Trotter, needed a straight-arrow, upright, Starfleet sort of contrast.  Since the Delta Quadrant was new territory for the stories, I decided to bring in another new character, my Caitian science officer M'eioi, who'd only appeared in a couple of cameos before.

Part of the in-game background is the ages-old conflict between the Caitians and their genetically-modified counterparts, the Ferasans... since I already had a Ferasan character, I brought back Rrueo for this one.  To quote the late Patrick Campbell, I thought she and M'eioi would get on like a house on fire... or a gas main exploding.

This story also contains one of my most thoroughly hissable villains ever.... The Vaadwaur aren't presented with much subtlety in the game's storyline, and Tuarak, who is driven to be even more Vaadwaur than the Vaadwaur, positively revels in his nastiness.  And so did I, to an unhealthy degree.  I wish I could figure out some way of bringing Tuarak back... but that's the thing about villains, they've got to get their come-uppance in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment