Saturday 6 February 2016

The Wrong Box 7

"Let us understand one another," said J'mpok. "Your people, your organization, you yourself... all valued and trusted allies of the Klingon Empire. Your efforts on the Empire's behalf are known and appreciated." He leaned forwards in his chair. "However. Try your wiles on me, and I will make you eat your own scent glands. Do I make myself clear?"

"Pellucid, Chancellor." Melani D'ian smiled. The curve of her lips was flawless, but it was belied by the hard glitter in her eyes.

J'mpok relaxed, studying his visitor through heavy-lidded eyes. The head of the Orion Syndicate - the uncrowned empress of Orion space - was the quintessence of an Orion Matron, coldly and flawlessly beautiful, dressed in silks and jewels and platinum filigree. She looked very out of place in the austere surroundings of the Chancellor's private office.

"So, then," he said, "how may I assist you?"

Melani D'ian let the smile fade. "You will have been briefed already concerning the Rehanissen Archive."

"I have." J'mpok scowled. "A cesspool of antique treacheries. If I held it in my hands, I would clean it out with one blast from my disruptor - though I know Imperial Intelligence would never forgive me."

"It is causing problems. It is likely to cause more. Firstly, there are... recriminations... between the two Houses who separately held the Archive. Each blames the other for intransigence in failing to reach a compromise before this - and for their failures in security."

"Only to be expected. How violent are these recriminations?"

"There have been some incidents. They are being dealt with. However, there are other... incidents... which are not all so easily accountable for. There is friction among the members of the Syndicate -"

"Various elements," J'mpok broke in, "who fear that past double-dealing will be exposed through the Archive, who anticipate reprisals for that - and who have decided, therefore, to get their own retaliation in first." He shook his head. "It would be more productive, I think, if they were simply to acknowledge their faults, make a clean breast of it, and accept the consequences."

"In an ideal world," Melani D'ian said frostily, "that might be so. The Chancellor is aware, I hope, that this is not an ideal world."

"Truth will out. The more one attempts to conceal it, the more painful the final revelation."

"I hear and respect the Chancellor's opinion. Others may be less easily persuaded."

J'mpok smiled. "Quite. In any case, it is not my problem, is it? It is a matter of internal discipline in your organization. Unless you are asking for Imperial support? I am sure I can send Imperial police to Ter'jas Mor in whatever quantity you require. They would be appropriately discreet."

"I thank the Chancellor for his kind offer," said Melani D'ian in glacial tones. "However, it is not a measure that would be appropriate at this juncture."

J'mpok made no immediate response. After a short while, he laughed. "I have been trying to envisage a situation in which you would feel it appropriate," he said. "I admit, my imagination does not extend so far.... So. What do you need from me?"

"There are more sources of friction than I can easily account for. There is deliberate disinformation being spread. Messages are sent for which no reliable origin can be determined. Ships are assigned to inappropriate duties. One battleship has already been lost, in circumstances I can only consider suspicious. And I do not - as yet - know who is behind this. Oh -" she waved a hand "- I have one name, but -"

"Kalevar Thrang."

"An independent smuggler. A good one, from the accounts I have, but not significant in himself. It is Thrang's backers that I must identify. Of course I am attempting to capture Thrang -"

"In a quiet way, Kalevar Thrang must now be the most wanted man in the galaxy," said J'mpok.

"But he cannot be the only key to this situation. He must have backers, and their motives and their actions must be accessible by other means. What I need is intelligence analysis with both wide and deep background. I need to be able to correlate data outside the Syndicate's immediate sphere of operations, to compare and contrast the actions of other agencies -"

"You need," said J'mpok, "the full cooperation of Imperial Intelligence in this matter."

"The Chancellor is correct."

J'mpok studied her closely through narrowed eyes. "But the information interchange would need to move in both directions," he said, eventually. "II would need to know, not only where to look, but why. Are you prepared to offer the requisite... levels of access?"

"I am. The situation is serious, and it must be addressed seriously. I propose nothing less than a full partnership with II in this matter. Anything less would be futile."

J'mpok nodded slowly. "Your organization is, as I said, a valued ally of the Empire. It is only justice, as well as self-interest, if we make available all the aid you need. I will so order the head of Imperial Intelligence. Its assets will be at your disposal."

"You have my gratitude, Chancellor." Melani D'ian rose. "And that of the Syndicate."

---

"And what is that worth?" J'mpok asked, some hours later.

Another Orion woman was seated across from him in the private office. This one was shorter and stockier than Melani D'ian, and she wore a uniform of white leather and furs, a cold-weather version of standard KDF dress. "Normally," Shalo said, "it means the minimum the Syndicate thinks it can get away with. In this instance... it could mean a great deal."

"D'ian is that desperate?"

"Melani D'ian is not desperate," said Shalo. "At least, I do not believe she is. Of course, I am not privy to the internal workings of the Syndicate -"

J'mpok grunted. "That," he said, "is why you are here. I need an Orion perspective, but from outside the Syndicate. How much trouble are they in? There are anti-Syndicate groups among your people, no?"

"There are a great many. If there were only one, I might consider joining it - as things stand, they are small and fractious, therefore ineffectual. If there is a threat to the Syndicate, it does not come from them. The possibilities are, then, two. An internal power struggle within the Syndicate, or a threat from some completely external third party. Melani D'ian seems to believe it is the latter."

"Is she right?"

"I have no love for D'ian. But she is capable. An internal enemy, she would put down, without requiring outside assistance. Most probably. For an external threat, though, she needs external help."

"Unless her grip is slipping. Old age comes upon us all...."

"Such information as I have," said Shalo, "suggests that D'ian's grip on the Syndicate remains strong."

J'mpok nodded, slowly and thoughtfully. "What of the Rehanissen Archive itself? Could its contents damage her, directly, in some way?"

"Without knowing the contents, it is hard to be certain. But the data in that archive must pre-date her rise to power - it is doubtful that it includes anything of importance. At most, she might need to pass something off as a youthful indiscretion."

J'mpok sighed. "I am a warrior. This business of information and disinformation is not my sphere. I look at it, and I see nothing but shifting shadows. I cannot strike at shadows."

"Find who casts them," said Shalo, "and your blade can drink its fill."

"Quite.... I cannot afford not to accede to D'ian's request. For good or ill, the Syndicate is our ally. And, besides... whatever happens, we will gain an unprecedented level of access to its operations and its planning. K'men would rip out my bowels merely for passing up that opportunity."

"Then your course of action is clear. What do you need from me, Chancellor?"

"Insight into the Orion mind. In your own way, General, I believe you to be as devious as D'ian. Do not think I failed to note the coincidental death of your family's enemy."

"A great loss to the Empire," said Shalo. "I grieve."

"Quite," said J'mpok. "A live general is worth more to me than a dead accountant. And do not think, too, that I do not understand revenge."

Shalo was quiet for a moment. Then she said, "I will serve you faithfully, Chancellor. In whatever capacity you require."

"Then report to Imperial Intelligence, and make your insights known to them." J'mpok shook his head. "But, first, you may listen while I speak of my misgivings.... I am troubled by a shadow which I do not see."

"Chancellor?"

"I see threats and in-fighting and betrayals within the Syndicate. I see a situation developing which may topple D'ian from her place of power. The shadow I do not see... is that of whoever plans to replace her. The Orion Syndicate is a potent engine of power - political, military, economic. Someone must want that power. But, whoever they are, they are hidden deep in the shadows indeed, so deep that I cannot see even a trace of them." He sat suddenly straight. "Go, now. Assist II. Shed some light for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment