Monday 25 January 2016

Fallout 38

"I still can't believe I let you talk me into this," the Caitian grumbled, as he led the way through the tangle of storerooms and maintenance corridors beneath King Estmere's starboard launch bay.

Kluthli laughed. "Orion wiles." She reached up with her free hand to scratch H'Russ's ear. The Caitian responded with a throaty purr. "No... it wasn't that. I wouldn't do that to a crewmate. But... you understand, don't you?"

"Yes," said H'Russ, "yes, I guess I do. And - well, I guess the Admiral would, too, wouldn't she?"

"Andorians do understand these things," said Kluthli. "And Admiral Shohl has more reason than most to be... tolerant." She smiled. "Still - I wouldn't want to trouble her with the knowledge. This will just be our secret, all right?"

H'Russ nodded. "All right."

"And don't tell me you weren't tempted, too, just by the technical challenge."

"It was a tall order, that's for sure." The Caitian visibly swelled with pride, his whiskers twitching, his ears lifting. "Don't think anyone else could have done it."

"You guys really are the best," Kluthli breathed.

"Better believe it. Here we are." H'Russ indicated a door, a storage room like many others, indistinguishable from the dozens that lined the corridor. Kluthli shifted the weight of the big fabric-covered case in her right hand.

"Thanks, H'Russ. I owe you for this, big time."

"Better believe that, too." The Caitian laughed softly. "I'll leave you in private. Door's keyed to your combadge." And he patted Kluthli's hand, then stalked off down the corridor.

Kluthli took a deep breath. She opened the door, went in, slid it shut behind her.

Tayaira looked up sharply. She was sitting on the floor, huddled in one corner of the small, bare room. She said nothing as Kluthli dropped the fabric case onto the floor.

"Camping gear, basically," Kluthli said. "Bedroll, ration packs, portable sanitary unit. You'll need that. You can't go outside."

Tayaira eyed her warily. "When does it start?" she asked.

"When does what start?"

"The interrogation."

"What interrogation? We already know everything, Tayaira."

Tayaira shook her head. "Then... why? And, for that matter, how?"

"How? We had all your biometric data, courtesy of Shalo... and King Estmere has the best flight deck transporter operators in the fleet. Of course, I'll have to keep H'Russ sweet, to stop him talking...." Kluthli smiled. "That will be no problem. Not even a hardship, actually."

"That leaves the difficult question," Tayaira said. "Why?"

"You're family."

Tayaira shook her head firmly. "That means... less than nothing, these days."

"I'm not so sure," Kluthli said. "Shalo and I... tore into each other, about the new loyalties we'd chosen. Perhaps we shouldn't have.... In any case, it seemed to me that it wasn't your fault you chose badly. You didn't know, did you, what Klur's plans were? Who his backers were?"

"No," said Tayaira. "Naturally not. What would you expect, of a conspiracy among Klingons?"

"Yes," said Kluthli, "among Klingons. Now, I can't promise you that no such conspiracy could ever form among the Federation... but, since I joined Starfleet, I've seen them in action, and they do try. We mock their ideals, but they try to live up to them, and sometimes they succeed. And when they do, they make the galaxy a better place to live in. The Federation way is not the Klingon way... but I think, I honestly think, it's a better one. That I made the best choice, out of the three of us."

"And if the House of Sinoom should rise again?" Tayaira asked.

Kluthli shook her head. "I don't know. Perhaps I could take some of the lessons I've learned from the Federation, put them to use in an Orion setting, but... I don't know. In any case, how might that ever happen?"

"I can't answer that one," Tayaira said. "Maybe, if Shalo rises to higher prominence in the Empire... or if you do the same in Starfleet, even." She smiled wryly. "At least I know I will never ascend to any heights."

"You can do whatever you want," Kluthli said. She reached into her jacket, pulled out a PADD. "Here. Shalo gave me this, I'm giving it to you. The remains of Cysitra's computer records. There should be things there you can... work with."

Tayaira made no move to accept the PADD. Kluthli stooped down and put it on the deck. After a moment, Tayaira picked it up.

"And what is the price?" she asked. "For this... for my life, such as it is. A wanted war criminal...."

"Not wanted. You're dead, Tayaira. Vaporized in combat with the King Estmere - no surer way to get dead. As for a price -" She shook her head. "It's one thing I've... learned... from the Federation. A person's life is too big a thing to put a price on. It can only be a gift, from me to you."

"More Federation idealism," said Tayaira.

"You'd be dead without it, so don't mock it," said Kluthli.

Tayaira nodded, slowly. "So what is the next step?" she asked.

"You need to stay here, for a while. I don't know what the Tholians used this room for, but we don't use it for anything. But if you venture outside, you'll be spotted, and that would be... inconvenient. On our current course, we'll be passing by a trade hub at Lutanis Beta within a day or so. H'Russ and I will sneak you off the ship then. After that -" Kluthli shrugged. "It's up to you." She turned to the door, then looked back. "It's a gift, your new life. Given freely. I don't ask any price... but I suggest you live it well. Dead woman."

She opened the door, passed through, let it slide shut and lock behind her. Tayaira sat staring at the closed panel for a long time.

At last, she said, softly, "Maybe I will."

No comments:

Post a Comment